So, I got all of Naga finally sculpted out. Boy am I slow.
I continued to bake her in segments. I discovered the hard way what issues can arise by baking Sculpey more than once. The top of Naga's hood fin cracked both front and back after the second time it was baked (picture taken prior to that). It wasn't like that when I pulled it out of the oven, rather the cracks developed over night as it cooled (another appeared on the lower back portion of one of her hood fins). Apparently, if the Sculpey cools too quickly, particularly in thinner thicknesses, the outer lay will harden before the inner layer. So, as the outside contracts and stiffens the inside stays warm, then as the inside cools it contracts and causes the already harden outer layer to crack. Physics lesson aside, I had to deal with a few cracks.
Research told me not to place more Sculpey on top of already baked Sculpey because it's not suppose to adhere to it. I didn't listen to that. And guess what? It worked, kind of. The top crack was partially healed from more Sculpey, but because I kept the new layer of Sculpey so thin, it didn't fully fill in the crack. I think if I had used more I would have been golden. At this point, I tried some promising Craft Art Amazing Goop glue. I wouldn't recommend this glue for hairline cracks. The glue is too thick and foamy to really get worked into the cracks. I bought that particular glue because the packaging said you could paint over it. Good thing I had some Gorilla Glue too. That worked pretty well. We'll see how well I can actually paint over it.
Lastly, as the above picture shows. making Naga's scimitars was tricky. Although the handles work perfectly and are 100% solid, coming up with a way to attach thin and somewhat delicate blades and tassels to the plastic handles was difficult, not to mention I got a fairly oily new batch of Sculpey which makes things even more cumbersome since the Sculpey wants to stick to my fingers. So what I did: I created frameworks for the blade and tassels out of wire. I then used Gorilla Glue to adhere the wires to the ends of the handles. Knowing that the connections would be weak, I used a bit of Sculpey to wrap around the wire-to-handle connections (see image) then baked it to strengthen the frame work. Once that was done, it was a lot easier to sculpt the blades and tassels around the frame work without worrying about them moving around or falling off of the handles.
To finish the sculpting, I used some sculpting tools to lightly carve the detail work in Naga's armor and scimitars. With some fine sand paper, I smoothed out as many of the transitions between the earlier baked Sculpey with the more recently baked portions. Today I took her to work to prime her in our spray booth. I should be able to sand her a bit tomorrow, then add a final layer of primer which will set her up to be painted. Can't wait.